Monday, April 20, 2009

78. My Fair Lady





My Fair Lady (1964)
Directed by George Cukor


With Easter week behind me as well as a slew of other things, I am turning my attention to finishing this '100' list. I'm gonna try and spit these out much faster than in the past, but that means that they will be a bit shorter and to the point, unless I get a little more inspiration on a particular film.

With My Fair Lady there really isn't much for me to say. It's one of only two live action musicals to make my list, and it's a joy for me to watch. I enjoy the overall story of Eliza Doolittle transforming from a cockney "guttersnipe" to a civilized woman under the tutelage of Rex Harrison's iconic Professor Higgins. Despite the story, it's really the small things that make this film essential for me.

I love all the major characters in this film from Eliza and Higgins, to Eliza's father and that greasy and sneaky translator at the ball. The songs are all delightful and there really isn't a miss in the bunch. Lastly, I applaud the restraint of the film when it comes to the Higgins and Eliza love story. Rather than a sweepingly romantic ending, the ending of the film is per is absolutely natural and pitch-perfect.

Favorite Song: "The Hymn to Him"


0 comments: