Thursday, April 23, 2009

72. Fist of Legend



Fist of Legend (1994)
Directed by Gordon Chan


Fist of Legend is Jet Li’s greatest film (I've seen over 26 of his films). While featuring several of his best fight sequences of all-time, Fist of Legend also features a serviceable plot (which is all a good martial arts film needs) and an excellent theme (which counts as bonus points). I saw this film for the first time less than a year ago and I wrote a review for it then. CLICK HERE for that review.

So how did this film so quickly make its way into my Top 100? With repeated viewings of Fist of Legend, my fondness for the film has grown. The last year I have been watching martial arts films of all stripes (I’ve watched around 60 or so by now), and Fist of Legend is easily one of the best entries into the martial arts genre, by Jet Li or by anyone.

In creating this list, I ranked each film by asking myself not only how much do I enjoy it, but would I want to live without it. Since I have a special love for action and martial arts films (Hong Kong action flms at that), this film easily made it into the top 100. Put me on a deserted island with just 100 DVDs and I guarantee you that this one will find itself into the DVD player very often.

Here is the trailer for the film

0 comments: